ProLightingSpace

Where Entertainment Production and Design People Meet!

Just started working in a theatre and they are runnig the strand 520, as good as they are it's time to upgrade and I want a console that is not as time consuming with programming, LED's mover's and av so I thought this would be the best place for advice

Views: 49

Replies to This Discussion

You should check magic Q's out very user friendly to hog programmers and very cheap compared to a hog or gma, I dont think an avo would do good due to the amount of dimmer channels. Mq would be great but you only have 10 playbacks and thats around 20k for thier full size. playback wings are like 5-6k each. Gma 2 would do good getting a light or ultra light I know the light is about 30k so the ultra light is probaly a grand or two cheaper. I wouldnt suggest going with an ma1 because In 5 years they are discontinuing repair service on the 1's coming from an act lighting guy He said that they have just enough parts to last 5 years. You also have a lot of different options for magic Q's They have really cheap pc wings.
I have programmed many shows on the EOS/ION line and absolutly love them for theatre. If you get many rock shows in they are a bit more tricky to punt a show on. they have some great new tracking features too, and the effect engine in them is pretty good. you can also backup to pc very easily via the offline editor. the only problem i have with them is the Wireless RFU. It is a horrible design and you can very easily mess your whole show up by pressing the wrong button. also on the last software revision i used you could view lamp commands on the rfu but still had to write macros to execute them.
Many good arguments for ETC here, but it seems like you really want MA2. Maybe you could do some maths for the financial guys. This is an inverstment for a 10-15 years horison. MA2 is quite new, release 2.0 posted 3 days ago, so it will probably be an up to date console in 15 years from now. The EOS/ION and Congo have been out for a while, so maybe they have to be replaced within 10 years.

You could also consider leasing.
yes Axel I do like the Ma2 above all others, I have downloaded Ma2 on Pc and enjoying all there is to learn . The rep I am talking with is not talking down the EOS and ION but just dose not think it will suit the theatre and the support for those console's just is not good enough in the area that I am in .
The magic Q I have used and realy liked, looking at what is on offer so far I'm down to these 2 consoles.
the Zero 88 I have not got very far with other than being told that Steve Web our rep would not recomend or have anything to do with and I will be asking why once I have a meeting with him at the end of the month.
You are on the money Axel my next step is to put together as much as i can with reasons why they should spend the extra money its a slow process but well worth doing

Axel Sundbotten said:
Many good arguments for ETC here, but it seems like you really want MA2. Maybe you could do some maths for the financial guys. This is an inverstment for a 10-15 years horison. MA2 is quite new, release 2.0 posted 3 days ago, so it will probably be an up to date console in 15 years from now. The EOS/ION and Congo have been out for a while, so maybe they have to be replaced within 10 years.

Dean-First let me say i have only worked mostly with ETC consoles for the past 12+years. i work in a road house theatre for 26+ years. i have seen just about every console out there come thru. if you are talking theatre and "one nighters"-you absolutely can do it on the ION by ETC. But you definitly need to buy a 2x20 Fader Wing & Two "Touch Screens". The Faderers are very VERSATILE. The company i work for was alotted approx. $1million & we spent it on an entire EOS family across three theatres here. no matter where you live the ETC Technical Help is DEFINITLY TOP NOTCH!! at least they have for me. i believe no mater how much you spend they will be there to assist. the ION was totally thought out
by top notch folks. In Addition most of the parts are made directly in their Wisconsin Factory. They have the most talented folks in the business working there. (if you get the chance to visit there factory, its amazing & so clean) I have the eos & ion in one theatre alone. Last season i programmed our new Nutcracker including scrollers, All Types of LED's, & Movers with TOTAL EASE.....I also believe this console will be here for quite some time. I used an ETC Obsession 1500 for 10 +years. it was solid with limited problems....I guarantee we will have this console for 10+years.....again this console was thoroughly thought out.

Dean Taylor said:
yes Axel I do like the Ma2 above all others, I have downloaded Ma2 on Pc and enjoying all there is to learn . The rep I am talking with is not talking down the EOS and ION but just dose not think it will suit the theatre and the support for those console's just is not good enough in the area that I am in .
The magic Q I have used and realy liked, looking at what is on offer so far I'm down to these 2 consoles.
the Zero 88 I have not got very far with other than being told that Steve Web our rep would not recomend or have anything to do with and I will be asking why once I have a meeting with him at the end of the month.
You are on the money Axel my next step is to put together as much as i can with reasons why they should spend the extra money its a slow process but well worth doing

Axel Sundbotten said:

Attachments:
Thank's to all for your advice on theatre consoles , i have spent the last 6 months trialing everything i can lay my hands on. I have decided to go with the etc eos it's a fantastic console and has cut my programming time in half , I am so glad i joined Pro Lighting Space any questions I have in lighting 90% of the time you guys are already talking about it CHEERS GUYS.

RSS

© 2014   Created by PLSN Magazine.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service