ProLightingSpace

Where Entertainment Production and Design People Meet!

Hello,

I need an advise.

I live in Mexico but a production from US is coming here and then to south america but the promoter wants to take the crew from here to South America, the point is that the promoter pays few and it´s the same as if it were local work here in the city so I think that if he is taking the crew abroad he should pay more, am I wrong? and payment plus per diem and he doesn´t pay days off.

I don´t have any idea about how much the salary for a lighting tech is. And also as It´s a US production I told the promoter that I speaks english fluently and I asked for more money as no other techs speaks English and he asid: "well, we don´t need Englsih speaking techs as the programmer can translate", should I earn more for the languages or am I wrong?

And in the other hand I think that maybe if he doesn´t pay enough maybe I should see this as an opportunity to network and get more experience.

I would like to know the opinion of the people who has more experience on the business and your experinces.

Thanks.

Views: 279

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is definitely something to be said about networking. But this promoter doesn't sound sensible. I don't think anyone leaves home and doesn't get paid on days off. Except maybe a carnie, but I don't know any to ask. Some people do not believe in perdiem and just consider it an advance in your paycheck. This is wrong in my book and I will not work for these kinds of folks. But some will.

What I always say is "Are you working?" If not, a job paying below what you feel you are worth, is still income. And more than you would make if you were sitting on the couch this week. So take it if your local work is slow.

I call BS on the fact that the promoter does not know the value of having a bilingual person on their crew. It is a great attribute to have. And all the English only speaking people on the crew will utilize your skills more than you could imagine in Central/South America countries.

This is 2012. I don't think any decent tech should earn less than $1000 bucks per week if you are doing an international tour. 

Hi Nook!

thanks for reply.

well now I´m working on the production, the promoter is paying the average wage for the gigs here in the city, but for the other cities in Mexico and the other countries it will be more, but still not enough as I´m the technical assistant so I have to check somethings about production and also work as tech setting up, tearing down, load in and load out, and this besides I´m the translator, fortunately now the TM is gonna take care about everything. I have to say that I´m enjoying a lot to work here and I´m learning a lot.

But you´re right this promoter isn´t sensible and he wants all the money for him.

sorry, what is BS?

well I think he know the value of a bilingual tech but they pay the same, anyway I took it despite they don´t pay that skill because as it´s the first time I work for them as technical assistant I can show them that I really speak fluent and technical english so next time I will ask for more money. and yes the ask me to translate to spanish a lot of things and so do the spanish speaking techs, but two of the techs from abroad speak a bit of spanish as well.

ok, thank you so much for your help :D

BS stands for Bull Shit. Sometimes it is wise to take a gig for less money than you think you should be paid, so you can  show these people your actual value. You can hold them up for more money next year. 

Valeria Silva said:

Hi Nook!

thanks for reply.

well now I´m working on the production, the promoter is paying the average wage for the gigs here in the city, but for the other cities in Mexico and the other countries it will be more, but still not enough as I´m the technical assistant so I have to check somethings about production and also work as tech setting up, tearing down, load in and load out, and this besides I´m the translator, fortunately now the TM is gonna take care about everything. I have to say that I´m enjoying a lot to work here and I´m learning a lot.

But you´re right this promoter isn´t sensible and he wants all the money for him.

sorry, what is BS?

well I think he know the value of a bilingual tech but they pay the same, anyway I took it despite they don´t pay that skill because as it´s the first time I work for them as technical assistant I can show them that I really speak fluent and technical english so next time I will ask for more money. and yes the ask me to translate to spanish a lot of things and so do the spanish speaking techs, but two of the techs from abroad speak a bit of spanish as well.

ok, thank you so much for your help :D

I got my first call for a little mini tour that was supposed to be a tech up in the N.E corrido for 5 days, tried to get 250 a day but settled for 200. Then two days later there LD for a smaller van and trailer tour backed out so they asked me to do that instead so I took the smaller one for 5 days where I could run my own show and had to settle for 150 plus perdium, and the console I was renting them so It wasnt to bad. But I was grateful for the job and had a lot fun that week, met A LOT of people and made it through the week with out getting asked my age :D! Also nook from what ive witnessed with the carnivals Ive worked with or the ones my dad were with its always a flat rate per week, Generally 200-450 (for the bigger state fairs). 

Ok, thanks guys! It´s always nice to read your replies.

I have also met new pepople and we´re about to go on tour on thursday so I will meet more people, have had fun despite there´s a jelaous guy who´s bothering me, but fortunately I love my job and don´t care about him at all :P

now what I´m worry about is that I don´t have enough eperience yet and I´m afraid of the problems I ca face in every venue.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by PLSN Magazine.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service